Back to Our Family
1834 - 1882
MARIA SASSE SCHUKAR
1841 - 1921
Maria Sasse Schukar,
photo taken in Kearney, Nebr., probably in the late 1910's.
Friedrich Johann Christian Schukar, son of Peter & Henrietta Schukar.
- born 29 June 1834, Bernickow, Koenigsberg Neumark, Brandenburg
- baptized 20 July 1834 Bernickow, Brandenburg
- died 28 August 1882, Fayette County, Ilinois
- buried Immanuel Lutheran Cemetery, Wilberton Twp. Fayette County, Illinois Gravestone
- married 17 November 1859, Dodge County, Wisconsin;
Maria Wilhelmina Ernestine Sasse, daughter of Michael & Maria Sasse.
- born 11 February 1841, Nahausen, Koenigsberg Neumark, Brandenburg
- died 5 March 1921, Armada Twp, Buffalo County, Nebraska
- buried Immanuel Lutheran Cemetery, Buffalo County, Nebraska
Maria married (2) 25 August 1889, Immanuel Lutheran, Augsburg, Illinois
John Henry Goedel
- born 28 March 1840, Ober-Moschel, Palatinate
- died 20 January 1922.
Maria and John lived together only a short time. When she lived in Nebraska, she used the name Maria Schukar. I don't know if they were legally divorced or whether she just chose not to use the Goedel name.
Friedrich, with his parents, brother and sister, emigrated from Hamburg on Julie, arriving in New York on 25 May 1852. According to church records in Fayette County, Illinois, he was a "vorsteher" and "vorsinger" (song leader) at Immanuel. On his death records he was described as "a devout Christian, one of the best active members, if not the best." Family stories say he died of injuries from a mule accident.
Maria emigrated with her parents in 1846. The Sasse and Schukar farms were only about a mile apart in Wisconsin.
Signature of Fritz from his will, dated 31 July 1882.
Signature of Maria from her marriage license to J. H. Goedel dated 25 August 1889.
They lived together only briefly.
For larger image, click here.
Date and Place Unknown
Mary, Annie, Emma, Maria, Matilda, Amanda
Emil, George, Barney
This photo from Gladys Erdbruegger Knecht's album was sent to me by David Knecht.
- Emma Augusta Schukar, b. 15 Aug 1860 d. 18 April 1956 at age 95
- Anna Louise Schukar, b. 27 Jan 1862 d. 03 Oct 1957 at age 95
- Pauline Schukar, b. 03 Jul 1863 d. 12 Jun 1874 at age 10
- Amanda Schukar, b. 17 Nov 1864 d. 24 Oct 1954 at age 89
- Matilda Maria Schukar, b. 19 Sep 1866 d. 05 Mar 1921 at age 54
- Friedrich Schukar, b. 14 Aug 1868 d. 10 Jul 1870
- Wilhelm Schukar, b. 10 Mar 1871 d. 06 Oct 1872
- Emil Louis Schukar, b. 17 Jan 1873 d. 21 Jul 1970 at age 97
- Bernhard Friedrich Schukar, b. 11 May 1875 d. 03 Apr 1968 at age 92
- Mary Christina Schukar, b. 19 Mar 1877 d. 10 Jul 1968 at age 91
- George Herman Schukar, b. 06 Feb 1881 d. 27 Jan 1957 at age 75
- Bertha L. Schukar, b. 06 Feb 1881 d. 09 Sep 1881
- Emma Augusta Schukar, 15 August 1860, Mayville, Dodge County, Wisconsin
- baptized 26 August 1860, Immanuel, "River Church", sponsors: August Schukar, Wilhelmine Fellwock nee Sasse, Louise Jagow nee Fellwock.
- died 18 April 1956, Amherst, Buffalo County, Nebraska
- buried 20 April 1956, Immanuel Lutheran Cemetery, Buffalo County, Nebraska
- married 2 December 1880, Wilberton Twp., Fayette County, Illinois
Carl William August Ernst Schukar
- Anna Louise Schukar, born 27 January 1862, Dodge County, Wisconsin
- baptized 1862, sponsors: Fr. Sasse, Wm. Sasse, Louise Schwan nee Schukar.
- died 3 October 1957, La-Crescenta, California, buried Forest Lawn Hollywood Hills Cemetery
- married (1) 10 May 1888, Fayette County, Illinois,
Henry Riechmann, born 17 Jan 1864, St. Louis, Missouri, died before 1893, St. Louis, Missouri
- married (2) 20 May 1893, St. Louis, Missouri
- Pauline Schukar, born 3 July 1863,
- bapt. 12 July 1863 Dodge County, Wisconsin, sponsors: Carl Schwan, Henrietta Sasse, Wilhelmina Christian.
- died 12 June 1874, buried St. Paul, Fayette county, Illinois.
- Gravestone photo
- Amanda Bertha Schukar, Photo page
- born 17 November 1864,
- baptized 27 November 1864, Dodge County, Wisconsin Sponsors: Fr. Fellwock, Louise Schwan, Bertha Schukar.
- died 24 Oct 1954, Amherst, Buffalo County, Nebraska
- buried Buffalo County, Nebraska, Immanuel Luth. Cemetery
- married 27 September 1896, Buffalo County, Nebraska, Immanuel Lutheran Church
- Matilda Maria Schukar, born 19 September 1866, Fayette County, Illinois
- baptized 16 October 1866, Fayette County, Illinois
- died 5 March 1921, Deshler, Thayer County, Nebraska
- buried Amherst, Buffalo County, Nebraska, Stanley Cemetery
- married 14 April 1887, Fayette County, Illinois,
William Emil Koeppen
- Friedrich Schukar,
- born 14 Aug 1868, died 10 Jul 1870, buried St. Paul, Illinois. Gravestone
- Wilhelm Schukar,
- born 10 March 1871, died 6 October 1872, buried St. Paul, Illinois.
One oral report states that there were "an even dozen" children.
record we have of this child is the
His birthdate allows him to fit in this family but not in any other known Schukar family.
- Emil Louis Schukar,
- born 17 January 1873, Fayette Co., IL
- confirmed 13 April 1887, Immanuel Lutheran Church, Augsburg, Illinois
- WWI Draft Registration description: Short, blue eyes, brown hair
- died 21 July 1970, St. Louis, Missouri, buried at Augsburg, Illinois
- married 11 November 1897, Fayette County, Illinois, to
Maria "Louise" Amelie Sasse, daughter of Martin Sasse & Louise Wilhelmine Oertwig.
- born 10 February 1878, Illinois, baptized 10 March 1878
- died 1967, buried at Immanuel Lutheran, Augsburg, Illinois
Gravestone of Emil and Louise Schukar
- Esther Mary Margaret Schukar, born 18 March 1898, Fayette County, Illinios
- died 9 May 1993, having lived in Vandalia, Fayette County, Illinois
- married 10 September 1918, Immanuel Lutheran, Augsburg, Illinois
Paul Carl Andrew Torbeck, born 20 November 1898
- baptized 11 December 1898, St. Paul, Fayette County, Illinois, St. Paul Lutheran
- died 20 June 1972, buried Immanuel Lutheran, Augsburg, Illinois
- Albert John Emil Torbeck, born 2 Apr. 1919, Fayette County, Illinois
- died 28 June 2015, Vandalia, Fayette, Illinois; buried Immanuel Lutheran, Augsburg Cemetery
- married 3 September 1944, Gainsville, Texas, to
Ruth Bertram, born 10 June 1922
- died 15 July 1980, buried Immanuel Lutheran, Augsburg, Fayette County, Illinois
- Wallace Clarence Torbeck, born 6 December 1922, Illinois
- died 22 May 1992, Fayette County, Illinois
- married twice. Had four children
- Delbert Otto Torbeck, born 7 February 1927, Illinois
- died 5 February 1999, having lived at Mattoon, Coles County, Illinois
- married three times. Had three children.
- Living Torbeck, married Harold C Matlock, born 14 March 1917, died 04 Jun 1995. At least one child.
- Minnie Helena Schukar, born 19 September 1899, Fayette County, Illinois
- died November 1988, Vandalia, Fayette County, Illinois
- married 4 September 1923, Immanuel Lutheran, Augsburg, Illinois
John Wiss, born 9 March 1900, Illinois, died 16 October 1963
- Metha Louisa Schukar, born 2 January 1902, Fayette County, Illinois
- died 26 August 1998, St. Louis, Missouri
- married 28 Jun 19__, Immanuel Lutheran, Augsburg, Illinois
Otto Boeger, born 15 August 1898, died before 1985.
- Lemoine Boeger, born 9 February 1932, died 19 December 1974, St. Louis, Missouri
- married Patricia Crocker, died 1991. One son, Timothy Allen Boeger, born 1958, died 1973, St. Louis, Missouri
- Friedrich Emil Schukar
- born 22 October 1904, Fayette County, Illinois
- baptized 1 November 1904, Fayette County, Illinois, died 28 March 1905.
- Otto Louis Schukar, born 24 January 1906, Shobonier, Illinois
- baptized 10 February 1906, Immanuel Lutheran, Augsburg, Illinois
- died 8 July 1990, buried at Augsburg, Fayette County, Illinois. Gravestone
- married 6 September 1931,
Edna Louise Helena Opfer, daughter of Heinrich Opfer, Jr. & Sophie Albrecht
- born 29 September 1912, baptized 20 October 1912, at St. Paul Lutheran Church, St. Paul, Illinois
- died 24 July 2004, buried at Augsburg, Fayette county, Illinois Gravestone
Five sons and one daughter.
- Lena Maria Schukar, born 23 January 1908, Illinois
- died 13 November 2003, St. Louis, Missouri
- married 23 July 1942, Franklin County, Missouri
Marvin Willett, born 16 March 1908, died 1 June 1969.
- Stillborn female Schukar
- born/died 14 July 1912, Shobonier, Fayette County, Illinois
- Oliver George Fredrick Schukar
- born 28 November 1913, Shobonier, Fayette County, Illinois
- died 7 September 1999, Vandalia, Fayette, Illinois; buried at Augsburg, Illinois. Gravestone
- married (1) 1937, Waive Meador.
- married (2) June 1942, Virginia Vaughn. Had one daughter.
- married 23 June 1947, Mary Louise Lytle. Had one son.
- Orville Louis Schukar, born 20 May 1923, Illinois
- died 15 November 2003, Vandalia, Fayette County, Illinois
- buried at Fairlawn Cemetery, Vandalia, Fayette County, Illinois
- married 31 December 1943, Vandalia, Illinois, to
- Kathryn Hobler, born 18 March 1925, died 30 August 2014, Vandalia, Illinois.
Four children, one of whom was killed in Viet Nam:
Ronald Keith Schukar, born 2 August 1944, died 10 October 1965, Viet Nam.
His name is on East Panel 2 of the Viet Nam War Memorial.
- Bernhard "Barney" Friedrich Schukar,
- born 11 May 1875, Fayette Co., IL
- died 3 April 1968, St. Louis, Missouri
- buried St. Louis Memorial Park Cemetery
- married 3 December 1899, St. Louis, Missouri, to
Anna M. Lenz born 12 December 1877, Germany
- immigrated about 1883
- died 5 February 1950, Billings, Yellowstone County, Montana
- buried at Montview Cemetery, Billings, Montana
In 1900, Barney and Annie lived in St. Louis, and he worked as a teamster. Before 1917, when Barney registered for the World War I draft, they had moved to Billings, Montana where he had a restaurant and pub.
Photos of Barney, Billings, Montana
- Mary Christina Schukar
- born 19 March 1877, Fayette County, Illinois
- died 10 July 1968, buried Villa Ridge, Illinois, Memorial Gardens.
- married about 1901 to
Richard Henry Erdbruegger
- TWIN - George Herman Schukar,
- born 6 February 1881, Fayette County, Illinois, Wilberton Twp.
- confirmed 7 April 1895, Immanuel Lutheran Church, Fayette Co., Illinois
- died 27 January 1957, Pulaski, Pulaski County, Illinois
- buried Olmsted, Pulaski County, Illinois, Concord Cemetery
- married 7 April 1907, St. Louis, Missouri., Baden Lutheran Church
Rosina Jacobsmeyer, daughter of Henry Jacobsmeyer & Matilda Trampe
- born 2 April 1886, Missouri
- died 28 March 1975, buried Olmsted, Pulaski, Illinois, Concord Cemetery
George and Rosina moved to Olmsted, Pulaski County, Illinois in 1908, then to Pulaski in 1949.
- Mable Schukar, born 1908,
- died about1920, buried Olmsted, Pulaski, Illinois, Concord Cemetery.
- Arthur Schukar, born 1911
- died about 1920, buried Olmsted, Pulaski, Illinois, Concord Cemetery.
- Alvin Walter Ervin Schukar,
- born 14 September 1913, Olmsted, Pulaski, Illinois,
- died 26 May 1995,
- married 8 October 1938, Olmsted, Pulaski, Illinois,
Leola Taake, daughter of George and Wilhelmina Taake
- born 16 April 1904, Missouri
- died 15 October 1993.
Alvin and Leola are buried Green Lawn Memorial Gardens, Villa Ridge, Illinois
- Ora Louise Schukar born 1 Sept 1918, Olmsted, Pulaski county, Illinois
- died 24 May 2017, Vienna, Johnson, Illinois
- married 26 April 1941, Olmsted, IL., St. Luke's Lutheran Church
Joseph Essex, son of Joseph Oliver Essex & Esther Hennington
- born 27 June 1919, died 17 May 2008; born and died in Pulaski, Pulaski, Illinois
Joe and Ora are buried at Rose Hill Cemetery, Pulaski, Illinois
Three daughters, one of whom survived infancy.
- TWIN - Bertha L. Schukar,
- born 6 Feb 1881, Wilberton Twp., Fayette County, Illinois
- died 9 Sep 1881, Fayette County, Illinois, buried Immanuel cemetery
Our Family | Schukar Ancestors | Peter Schukar
Layout & HTML coding © 1999-2018 MJH